UNIVERSIDAD DE CANTABRIA
The Network Planning and Mobile Communications Laboratory group was funded at the beginning of the 90s, at the same time when the Telecommunications Engineering degree was deployed within the University of Cantabria. Its research activity is related to wireless IP, network management, mobile networks, advanced data transmission techniques and traffic engineering. Expertise areas are the following:
- Protocols and architecture design and implementation for mobile communication networks, gathering a huge experience in routing algorithms and MAC layer behavior for these different mobile technologies.
- Context management and context-aware solutions from network to application level, through the implementation of different schemes, based on the provided information, to manage the access to the network
- Middleware platforms for sensor networks and other mobile technologies, in order to uniform and homogenize the access to subjacent sensor technologies from the upper layers.
- Internet of Things for service provision and experimentation including deployment and installation issues, as well as the management of the whole network, the execution of different researching experiments and the provision of several services to the citizens.
The relevance of the research activities of the Group is supported by the intense and successful participation in different research programmes, both with national (CENIT, INNPACTO, PSE) and international public scope (FP5, FP6, FP7), as well as private funding, bringing about the establishment of a number of collaborations with the industry, fostering the university/industry couple, key factor to reach the quality within the R&D/Innovation activities. One additional parameter which somehow proves the relevance of the research activities within the Group is the participation of its members in different publications, of recognized international prestige, as well as part of Technical Programme Committees, for both conferences and magazines.
Main role in the project:
UC will be providing the SmartSantander platfom in the RADICAL project, while also providing relevant expertise associated with the development and deployment of IoT applications. UC will also be in charge of the pilot operations at the Santander region, covering the full cycle of services deployment, validation and evaluation (according to the living labs approach).
- Increase the use cases portfolio offered by the city of Santander and Cantabria region, implementing all the use cases developed in the rest of cities and regions within RADICAL Consortium.
- Include social networking platforms in future and already deployed use cases, taking advantage of the outcomes provided by social networking projects included within RADICAL project.
- Derive tools and techniques for the consideration of different environments and the corresponding adaptation of the services implemented in other RADICAL Consortium cities, within the city of Santander and Cantabria region.
- Consolidate cross border use cases cooperation between Cantabria region and others.
- Design and assess a business model and exploitation plan addressing sustainability.