The city of Santander is the capital of the Cantabria region in the north of Spain and has a current population of approximately 183,000 inhabitants. From the Department of New Technologies belonging to the City Council, consisting of 15 technical staff and 9 foreign technicians, mainly manages and coordinates are the following tasks:
- Infrastructure management in data processing and communications, so that all municipal services carry out their functions by using new technologies.
- Deployment and management of networks and communications: voice lines and data transmission, perimeter security, Internet access and e‐mail, servers, microcomputers and corporate databases.
The main projects that currently the department are involved, to name a few:
- Development of a Geographic Information System (GIS) for the catalogue and registration of municipal resources with the development of individualized records of each of the elements of water supply and sanitation networks, such as wells, pipes, connections, tanks, hydrants, suction cups, and so on. Each card includes a photograph of each item, its current status, anomaly detection, verification of operation, whether or not leakage, number of junctions or coming from it, surveying and geographic location and dates of each of the installations, modifications or repairs.
- Standardizing the management of administrative procedures.
Main role in the project:
Within RADICAL, Santander City Council will be mainly involved in the evaluation of SmartSantander pilot services, thus taking part in the financial and business evaluation of the aforementioned services, as well as deriving from them the corresponding policy development guidelines to be applied.
- Increase the portfolio of services offered by the city of Santander, implementing all the use cases developed in the rest of cities participating within RADICAL Consortium.
- Share experiences, problems and particularities arose in the other cities within RADICAL Consortium, in order to enrich and improve the services offered to Santander citizens.
- Derive tools and techniques for evaluating the services offered to the citizens, defining the main KPIs as well as being able to know the satisfaction degree of the users in a homogenised way, among all cities composing the Consortium.
- Design and assess a business model and exploitation plan addressing sustainability.